Your local Center is getting ready to write a plan for how it will deliver mental health services in the next few years.
It needs to know what you think.
What is it? A new Texas law requires your Center to create a network of outside agencies to provide mental health treatment services. In some areas this will take some time so your center must develop a plan to show how this will happen. In creating this plan, the center must get comments, thoughts, and suggestions from members of the community. Yes, they need to hear from YOU!
Why should I care? This new law requires that you be given a choice of who provides your treatment and the right to choose your provider. Sometimes, having a choice of treatment providers can lead to better treatment. You want the best possible service and your Center wants to be sure you receive the best possible service.
What can I do?
There are many things you can do to let your center know what you think.
- You can learn more about this law so you will have more information about what is happening to mental health services in your area.
- You can go to meetings the Center will host in your service area.
- You can speak about your concerns, ideas, service likes and dislikes at these meetings.
- If the center sends out a survey, you can answer and send it back.
- You can talk to your friends or family and ask them to go to meetings or help you prepare your comments for presenting.
- You can contact the state agency or your local advocacy group and ask questions or submit comments.
CONTACT INFORMATION TO HELP YOU LEARN MORE:
|MHMRA Harris County Website: http://www.mhmraharris.org
Phone: 713-970-3400 (press 4)
|NAMI of Texas Website: www.namitexas.org
|DSHS Website: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/mhcommunity/LPND/
|Advocacy, Inc Website: http://www.advocacyinc.org
Phone: 1-800-252-9108 (V/TDD)